The Solar Eclipse of January 15th looks to be a big deal; certainly, it affects countless people of my current association and I think that the next 3 years or so are going to bear an indelible impression of the darkness at 25 Capricorn. I have been working at some fairly advanced interpretations in an attempt to see where it might lead; and some of the material that follows is beyond even advanced astrology; there’s no need to worry too much about that because I’ll try and give some clues about the manifesting influences of the eclipse.
The eclipse cycle which the January 15th event falls under was instantiated on May 19th 1613 (for those interested in tracing the technical progression of the luminary conjunction it falls in the 12 North Saros Cycle), so in order that we understand the major themes of the eclipse and how it plays out we need to grapple with the chart for the originating event which is shown here:
I only include Zeus and Chiron for the purpose of defining the Star of David aspect pattern; it suggests that financial/material issues and a tendency toward rapid progress are inherent in the eclipse of January 15th. The originating eclipse is conjunct both Hopi and Proserpina, so there are themes of indigenous peoples (Hopi) and the kidnap of daughters (Proserpina).
Now, get this…
In March 1613, Pocahontas was residing at Passapatanzy, a village of the Patawomecks, a Virginia Indian tribe that traded with Powhatans… in the care of the Patawomec chief Japazaws (or Japazeus).
When two English colonists began trading with the Patawomec, they discovered Pocahontas. With the help of Japazaws, they tricked Pocahontas into captivity. They intended to hold her to ransom and release her in exchange for English prisoners held by Chief Powhatan, along with various weapons and tools stolen by the Powhatan. Powhatan returned the prisoners, but failed to satisfy the colonists with the number of weapons and tools he returned. A long standoff ensued, during which the English kept Pocahontas captive.
So, the Saros 12 North eclipse cycle began with the kidnap of the daughter (Proserpina) of an Indian (Hopi) chief (Sun)! Of course, a big part of the argument that led to the kidnap was to do with firearms: the Su/Mo/Ho/Pr conjunction opposes Zeus, which rules firearms!
The first themes of the eclipse then are hinted at in this originating event: people in minority positions or who feel (for whatever reason) that they are being discriminated against will be coerced, removed from a secure position or in some way surprised or ‘ambushed’ (another Hopi theme) in order to ensure compliance: ultimately as a power-play.
Next, look to the elements: no fire at all, and that includes asteroids, there isn’t a single astrological body in the element of fire! So, all subsequent Saros 12N eclipses will inevitably be marked by a dearth of the fiery quality: thus despondency, a lack of optimism, failure to initiate, playing it too safe, and most of all lacking faith. The grand earth trine projecting into the eclipse at the kite’s apex is determinant: here is a warning that being too materialistic is going to trigger the negative consequences of the Su/Mo/Ho/Pr opp. Zeus spine, thus there is volatility, high blood pressure, having to keep a lid on things and all because it’s a struggle to have faith that things will turn out alright in the end. Moon opposes Zeus too, so women are going to get feisty and be the cause of the high-blood pressure; children might get taken elsewhere because of previous attempts to control, to enforce conditions and solutions. With Zeus opposing Proserpina and Hopi, take care that your daughter’s car isn’t stolen by an Indian!
Okay, on a more serious note, Pluto is peregrine (just), but is conjunct Bacchus(so somebody is getting high on their power trip) and at the apex of a slightly out of orb tee-square from Mars opposing Chiron. People are taking things into their own hands and being impulsive out of a need to cause some hurt, hitting somebody in the sensitive area of their life and it’s going to force a big transformation, or a real life and death struggle.
All the trines and sextiles suggest that things happen fast, there’s plenty of movement and lubrication, expect changes to be quick, but the repercussions to hang around for quite a long time. The only other problem is the opposition of Saturn to Neptune which tee-squares to Mercury in his sign widely conjunct Uranus. Here, material things are dissolving and it’s causing outbursts, people are thinking they’ve got it all worked out but are in danger of over-intellectualising their opinions and views and that’s simply adding to the problems.
So, to summarise then, there are several themes which acompany this eclipse in broad terms:
- An overemphasis on material viewpoints, practicalities and finances at the expense of faith, optimism and enthusiasm.
- People may be discriminated against (and in Taurus: perhaps because of their poverty) as part of a power play or reach for control.
- Children, access rights and custody battles may all be configured.
- Things will move fast.
- Overintellectualising leads to outbursts which in turn engender fierce arguments.
- Venus trines Jupiter, and while Venus is strong Jupiter struggles, the trine is in earth again, so it promises material increase, but this could simply be the underlying impetus for the material tone of the eclipse itself, “an opportunity for gain” is at the forefront of the ensuing dynamics.
And that’s the originator: what of the eclipse on January 15th?
- The conjunction conjoins Venus in Capricorn, thus relationships that are based on responsibility or duty are at the core of the eclipse energy, and most especially relationships with a financial dimension. If you overlay this onto the 1613 eclipse there are themes of alimony, child support, reparation paid to disenfranchised minorities and a sense that money can in some sense buy or compensate for love and affection.
- The eclipse (and Venus) opposes Hopi, so discrimination based on material resources (or lack of them) are strongly suggested. It also squares Kassandra in Libra, so legal advice might be a theme of this eclipse as a result, but beware of what you believe, somebody may not be playing you completely straight.
- The really tough break is contained in the eclipse halfsum of Sun=Mars/Saturn, a prominent male might die during the eclipse period (approximately 3-4 years). Placed in the context of the original eclipse there is a problem with Zeus, so motor accidents, explosions or deaths related to high blood-pressure are all possible.
- Mercury is conjunct Pluto: obsessive ideas and opinions are a big problem, and squaring Saturn, they’re based around older men, authorities, fathers and traditional viewpoints or perspectives. Me/Pl also opposes Kronos, so the obsessive idea (Me/Pl) that is brought to bear by an authoritative male (Sa) is opposed by a family expert or expert/authoritative mother (Kronos-Cancer). If you consider that to be a traditional tee-square then the tension of the obsession being opposed by the family expert results in a legal decision being handed down by the judge (squares Sat. in Libra!)
- Even more remarkably, Venus (and the eclipse itself) oppose Vulcanus (Venus by only 3 minutes of arc). Wow, that’s quite scary. Here there are others making plays to force you to fall into line, enforced payments are key and there may be compulsive attractions (due to Ve. opp. Vu) which complicate the financial situation. If you consider the dynamic of Vulcanus conj. Hopi opposing Venus and the eclipse, there is also a theme of being forced into or out of poverty, perhaps as the result of the death of a male.
- The eclipse opposition to Vulcanus tee-squares Apollon which suggests that there is an impression that the outcome of the struggle might hinge on who has the most support and the greatest number of ‘followers’. Canvassing for support might then be a natural consequence of this eclipse, but the danger here is that with the tense energies configured you might simply get the wrong type of supporters onside.
So then, let’s put all this together. The eclipse seems to promise a power struggle that centres around material issues, responsibilities and a male being taken out of the picture. Legal contests especially that relate to children, alimony, child support, divorce settlements and attempts to gain control especially through denigrating opponents because of their financial position. Ultimately, sense will prevail, but it might take a legal ruling to sort it out once and for all.
And how does this apply to you? Here there is another layer of synthesis required; expect these kinds of themes to become noticeable in your life and environment over the next few weeks and months and look to house position and the position of Saturn as a further clue. If the eclipse falls in your 2nd house there may be a custody dispute over some prized possession, if in the 12th you may find that these themes have been playing out without your knowledge of them.
You should really sit up and take notice if the eclipse conjoins or opposes major points in your nativity, because this will colour your experience of it and determine the manner or areas of life in which you will be affected by these themes. It is complex and confusing, but if you’re really stuck, why not consider consulting a professional astrologer for some insight.